Expert Tips on How to Choose Your Perfect Sofa
Furnishing your living room with the right kind of furniture will serve more than just practical and aesthetic purposes. It will also ensure that you have a comfortable area where you can relax and cozy up with your loved ones. It is essential that you purchase the perfect sofa so you can enjoy your living space to the max.
Narrowing Down Your Options
There are plenty of options available in the market, ranging from minimalist styles to the lavish and ornate. Picking the perfect sofa for your home does not have to be all too complicated. With a few quick guidelines, you can find what you are looking for without a hitch.
Here are some helpful tips on how to find the perfect sofa:
1. Keep your interior design theme in mind – it’s easy to get swayed into picking a nice looking sofa that you see in the showroom or in an ad. You have to stop yourself from making an impulse buy unless you want to redecorate your entire living room to replicate what you saw. That nice looking sofa might not look the same way when you put it in your own living room. Choose a style, color, design, and pattern that complement your interiors.
2. Determine what your budget is – the perfect sofa to choose is the one that fits your budget. You do not want to go broke buying the sofa that catches your fancy. Be reasonable with how much you can spend. It’s alright to spend a big amount for something that will last a long time provided that its price tag does not exceed your budget.
3. Measure your space – you have to buy a sofa that will fit in the space you have. You can measure the space that you have and then see which among the sofas at the furniture shop would fit perfectly. You can also do it the other way around. Pick several sofas and take note of their dimensions and then see if they fit in your space. One tip from a home improvement expert is to cut out the size in brown paper, lay it out on the floor, and imagine how it looks. Think about the activities that you usually do in your living room and imagine if you can still do them with your new sofa.
4. Have a peg – it’s okay to like something from a showroom or a movie scene. Take a picture of the sofa and then look for a similar piece that matches and fits into your living room. Magazine cut-outs are fine too. If you want something unique and from your own creative ideas, you can make a sketch of what you consider as the perfect sofa and bring it with you when you go shopping. You can also bring your sketch to a custom furniture maker if you cannot find anything from the retail stores.
5. Prepare a plan B or an alternative choice – it might not be possible to get exactly what you want in a sofa. You might have to make concessions on some aspects (i.e. size, color, materials, etc.). You can have several options in mind so you can compare them in terms of both practical and aesthetic features. If you are not looking to stay in the same house for a long time and you do not wish to bring your furniture with you, you can settle for something that will last for about a couple of years.
Buying the Perfect Sofa for Your Living Room
There are a lot of furniture shops both online and offline. Some specialize in specific design styles or materials. There are boutique furniture stores that carry products from the designers themselves. No matter where you choose to buy your perfect sofa, you have to make sure that you have a set criteria and a clear idea of what you really want. Do not be pressured by sales pitches or perhaps even influence from your friends or relatives. Be realistic about your choice and stick to what would look good in your living room.
Another thing to think about before you finally make that purchase is the maintenance required for your sofa of choice. You have to remember that you will have to take care of your sofa too in order for it to stay clean and comfortably. Consider how easy or difficult it is to clean and maintain. A tight back Bridgewater sofa would be a good choice if you do not like having to fluff your cushions often. If you have children, you would not want to have a sofa made of fine and delicate materials. Stain and water proof upholstery is highly recommended if you often eat and drink while seated on your sofa.
There are no strict rules on how to choose a sofa. Your choice is entirely up to your own preferences and budget. With the guidelines above, making that perfect choice is faster and less complicated.